Monday, September 19, 2005

For Cole


Times Like This
A friendly face, the kind of face that melts you with a grin
The kind of eyes that welcome you the minute you walk in
A tender glance you simply can't refuse
At times like this, a girl could use
A dog

He listens when you tell him things - there's nothing you can't say
And unlike certain people, you can teach him how to stay
And if the world is giving you the blues,
He cheers you up by chewing up the news.
It's things like that, that make you choose

A dog

Other people need romance, dancing, playing around

Other people need constant fun - well I'm not one
I have my feet on the ground.

Give me
A quiet night, a stack of books - a tuna melt on rye
A simple walk together underneath a starry sky

And suddenly the night is something rare
And all because there's someone special there
Who's gazing at the views
His head upon your shoes.

It's times like this I sure could use...a dog.
__________________________________________________________

I love you, Cole. And I will miss you dearly.
You will always be a part of our family and I thank you for the many times you licked away my tears and cheered me up. You are the greatest dog ever and I'm so grateful that God chose us to be your family. x

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is most assuredly one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. He was a "best friend to all of us." He was the best dog, pet and pal a family could ever have asked for...always came when you called him, brought a gift to everyone who came through the door and treated each of us in the family like we were his only master or mistress!

Anonymous said...

Oh man. We discovered that our first & best cat, Lightbulb, was dying of lung cancer a few days before we met you all on the trip East. And we had to put him to sleep just a few days after we got back home.

It was made a little easier for me to realize that, being a cat, Lightbulb probably didn't have any plans for the future. His life was just a collection of good days or bad days. And by the end, there were clearly no more good days in his future.

The previous two weeks had been a gut-wrenching, long goodbye to our aging "big boy" who we thought would be with us for another 5-10 years. When the end finally came and there was nothing more we could do to try to keep him comfortable, it actually brought some relief. I hope you're able to feel the same way about Cole very soon.

Anonymous said...

My ex-wife, by mutual agreement, kept the dog when I moved out. When our dog died this year, I was more upset than I even expected. In addition to mourning this friend, I mourned the opportunities I had for the kind of bare vulnerability that only a pet can seem to bring out. Dogs are very special animals. I'm so sorry about Cole. . .

Anonymous said...

I didn't know your doggie...but I lost my sweetfaced little dog (friend of 11 years) in May. So now, I sit crying at my desk. lol. What a lovely poem. (I'll have to finish it later when I get soggy-eyed in private.) I'm so sorry for your loss Carrie (and family) - I know exactly what you're going through. I went with my mom (and brother) to put my dog to sleep and it was probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

Just wanted to express my condolences. If you ever want to chat about it - you know where to find me.

xo ~ deb