Monday, September 26, 2005

An Apropos Season (Part III of III)

Ever since the Dashing Litigator combed the internet to find my blog (needing scarcely a hair pick, I might add) read it, and left me feeling more naked, vulnerable and idiotic than I've ever felt in my entire life, I've been sitting here paralyzed. I take full responsibility for it's untimely unveiling. I was caught off guard, caught up in the moment, caught in the arms of the Dashing Litigator (arms that would make Fabio look like a prebuscent preteen, I might add) and I hiccupped...tossing my proverbial cookies all over his six-pack stomach. In just a few mouse clicks I had gone from the guise of a girl who has got it together, who still has a few great cards in her hand, to having them all dumped out on the table, completely crapped out. My gut instinct was to quash the thing entirely. Mayday! Mayday! Abort! She's goin' down in a flurry of curls and red feathers, taking a dating nose dive, crashing and burning, doooooomed!

The day that the Dashing Litigator exposed me and my dirty little black blogging-book was a dark one indeed. It was a particularly hellish day at work. We were in the throes of mediation madness and I spent the majority of it refilling coffee, picking up boxed lunches and engaging in forced-friendly chit chat with clients. I had much going on and was unable to tend to my own personal crisis. Throughout the day, the Dashing Litigator flooded my inbox with reassurance. He complimented me in dozens of ways on my writing style, encouraged me to continue - that he would not be able to live with himself if he were the cause of its demise, that he would not look at it ever again, and when I asked him point blank if this discovery had sent him running, he said:

Maybe running to. But not from.

It was enough. On our date Saturday night, he was to pick me up at 4:30pm for an evening that would include dinner and a ticket to my show. It was 4:32pm when he rang my doorbell. For those two minutes in between, I hyperventilated, paced, nearly vomitted, and almost called my mother - convinced that I really had scared him away. That I had revealed too much. I then recalled something my friend Brooke told me the day before: "Carrie, if he's the right guy, he won't be scared away. The right guy won't run."

When I opened the door to his handsome and smiling face, my heart felt hopeful. Relieved. He was there. He wasn't running away. But I still grabbed ahold of his hand, anyway - just in case. I still felt naked, foolish and in desperate need of some reassurance, but sucked it up and smiled, acting as though I wasn't at all phased by what he now knew. Over the course of the evening, a glorious, lovely evening - I received countless tokens of reassurance, bestowed upon me in a variety of caring, genuine and thoughtful ways as only the Dashing Litigator can do.

It was the internet that first introduced us. And now it has been the internet (in a rather embarrassing way) that has somehow brought this Crazy Actress closer to her Dashing Litigator. I'm wondering if this normally very open girl, should begin to keep some things sacred. I have the Dashing Litigator's blessing to continue my writing of our adventures, (he's actually been demanding that I continue) and his word that he will abstain from reading up on them. And I trust that.

But perhaps it is time that I keep 'this' private. Who really wants to read up on my mushy romantic ramblings, anyhow?

Who is even out there reading this? Thoughts? Opinions? Who are you? (I know who some of you are) Who are the rest?

P.S.
As I sat here to compose this blog (after first calling to check in on my dear Dashing Litigator who is in bed sick with the flu), my phone rang. It was The Dentist. (aka The Weed) The last time I heard from him was on the day before my first date with the Dashing Litigator, nearly 5 weeks ago. The Weed wondered who was 'supposed' to call. According to him, it had been a couple weeks and he was wondering. I engaged in mild chit chat before asking him if he'd ever heard the expression Strike while the iron is hot. He had.

"Well, " I said, "I would be the hot iron, and somebody else has struck. Repeatedly."

We wished each other well, and hung up. I promptly deleted him from my contact list in my cell phone - the fact that he was still there was merely an oversight. And besides, in this garden that I am slowly creating...this garden of friendships, life experiences, budding romance - there is definitely no longer any room for weeds.




9 comments:

The Writer said...

Hi Carrie,
I'm one of your loyal readers and I can honestly say that I love living my dating life through you! I'm trying to stay positive and believe that I might actually meet a Dashing Litigator of my own. My last date was a Cro-Magnon, saying things like "when you're out with me, you don't pay for nothin."
Help!

Anonymous said...

Some motherly advice from who else....? Keep some things close to your vest, never show all your cards, it keeps people on their toes! Being on your toes takes work and practice...and relationships are work and they take practice....ouch! I am getting off my soapbox now...

Sunney said...

And you are a VERY hot iron! :) I love reading your blog, how you are so open and funny and wonderful. I love hearing about how you hope and worry, and knowing that I feel the same way. I know I'm not the only and that there are dozens more people who read this and are grateful that you put into words what many of us go through with the whole dating thing.

He sounds amazing. And you deserve that. You are an amazing, charming woman. Keep in mind that he is just as lucky as you feel.

Hugs and kisses!
Sunney

Anonymous said...

Listen to your mom. :-)

(But don't kill off the blog; it's too fun reading your stuff!)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, you know your blog has truly arrived when it attracts comment spam.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie! It's Jean. Remember me? I stumbled onto your blog after reading Julie's. It's great to know that you are doing well, and the dating world is promising. I hope the Dashing Litigator continues to enthrall.

Anonymous said...

Please keep writing this blog. It is the closest thing I have had to dating in a LONG time! We all live vicariously through you. When this gets picked up for a show, can I play the spunky, balding, gay friend?

Virgil

Michelle said...

Carrie,

I love your blog! You give those of us who want the fairytale a reason to believe it can happen. Good or bad, reading about you and the DL puts a smile on my face. I'm in it for the long haul.

Anonymous said...

Do not stop writing this blog. Ever. Please, I beg. I think your family has some good advice...you wouldn't share the most intimate moments, sacred only to you and the, "DL." But you would relay them in way that is both humerous and insightful to us "readers" and "friends" who are excited to share these moments with you. I love your writing and your insights!!!