Saturday, July 16, 2005

Date #2: Did you blink? You missed it.

Well, here I am to report on my second blogged internet date. Ever. It's currently well after midnight, but don't let the late hour fool you into thinking I've been out having a raucous good time with a fantastic guy that was SO fantastic I lost track of time and space and sanity and all the rest.

I've been home since 9 o'clock.

In the time since, I've stopped at Dairy Queen - again (yes, I know what you're thinking), paid some bills, changed into my jammies, and watched all 196 minutes of Schindler's List, a movie I had not yet seen. So you see, it has been a most productive evening.

But this is supposed to be about the date, and so it shall be. Though I'm not sure you'd call it a date, and quite frankly there isn't much to report, but well - here it is:

This was yet another eHarmony match. His name was Robert. I shall call him that because from his pictures he looked verymuch like Robert Sean Leonard, with the dark hair, dark eyes, and cleft in the chin. We met at Uncommon Ground, my most favorite-est place. It takes me about 20 minutes to walk there from my apartment, and at about 7:25 he called me to say that he was already there and seated outside at a table. I thought that was very nice and courteous. I arrived shortly thereafter, spotted him, and the date began.

I knew that Robert was supposed to be 5'9 - and so I wore my flattest shoes yet again. But when he stood up to shake my hand/half-hug me, he was more like 5'7. No matter. I sat down. The waiter came over and took our drink order. I had a Blue Moon, he had "some German beer that comes in a funky bottle". The waiter brought the drinks. I told Robert how this was my favorite restaurant and that they had the best, most delicious food. (I am starving.) The waiter comes back to take our order and Robert says, "Oh. We're just having drinks." What? When did we decide this? No matter. We're talking about our drinks and what we drink in general and he says, "Well, I would've had a martini, but I have to drive home in an hour." An hour? Geez. I'd better start covering some ground. That's not much time.

Not much time, true. But not much time was needed. He was very nice, though a bit of a soft talker, which made conversing awkward at times. He has a place just off of Lake Shore Drive and he grew up in the suburbs. His parents and sister live out of state. He likes to paint - which I found fascinating, considering he's a computer geek, and is right now trying to do more consulting work with webdesign that would exercise both his left and right brain. He's a nature guy and loves mountain biking and running. Overall the conversation was pleasant, not too awkward, but I didn't feel that spark. And perhaps he sensed it, too. Or maybe I was just distracted by the smell of the savory dishes being served all around me, and the sounds of my stomach gurgling as it digested itself. Again - no matter.

Later when he asked what I had going on for the rest of the evening, I answered, "This. This was my evening. Well, and I suppose dinner. I haven't had dinner yet, so...food. Food will be my Friday night. You?"

"Well, I'm getting up at 6:30am to go running with some friends, so I'll be getting to bed early."

Great. He'll be getting fit. I'll be getting fat.

*sound of alarm buzzing* Oh, wow. I guess that hour is up. That was fast. Nice meeting you, Robert. Now if you'll excuse me, I must be off to my next date - with the Queen of Dairy.

And...scene.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry...for some reason I must have missed the words 'speed dating' in your preface to date #2...oh that's right, BECAUSE IT WASN'T SPEED DATING! Hell, at least with the 3-minute functions they feed you! :) NEXT!

Alleigh said...

Oh bia what a hoot you are!
Good luck with the next one!
Maybe he'll actually feed you!

Anonymous said...

I believe your site officially counts as a "guilty pleasure." On one hand, I feel terrible that these guys have such fatal flaws becuase you're so terrific and deserve someone great. On the other hand your blogs are HYSTERICAL!! Flat out, laugh out loud, pee your pants funny. Keep 'em coming... that is until you find prince charming.

Anonymous said...

It has been suggested by Robin at our office that you might consider a career in journalism along with the acting thing! Maybe just a column about dating in the windy city....you have such a way of expressing...what abpout a book...I think you should drop by a few newspapers or start your book!!!!